Saturday, June 30, 2007

Everything but

For some reason today when I woke up, I had two things in mind. The first was getting a haircut. Even though I didn't get in bed until around 2:30, I was up at 8:30 hoping to get to the barber shop right when it opened. The other thing I was thinking about was a McSkillet Burrito from McDonald's. They sent me a coupon about a month ago for a free one, and today was the day I HAD to have it. I also sent Carl a text asking if he was available. He was, and it was determined that I would loan him my bike.

McDonald's was a nightmare. There were like 10 people in line and we all know that in this neighborhood, while everyone eats at McDonald's, one dare not be seen there. The judgement and the knowing looks never end. So, the longer the line, the greater likelihood of judgement.
5 Minutes later, I've got myself a McSkillet Burrito and a LARGE diet coke - I had to buy a large drink to get the burrito for free..I told that bitch to just charge me for a large and give me a medium b/c I didn't want that much soda. But, no, that's too hard.

The burrito wasn't as awful as Frank made it out to be. The shell was nice and soft, the sausage and eggs seemed like real produce - ish. The potato kinda threw me though. I could have done without that. Anyway, as McDonald's has refused to post the nutritional information on those, I have no idea what I was doing to myself.

I decided to RIDE my bike to Carl''s house, just in case. I met him at the Courthouse Cosi, where I had an Iced Tea and managed to resists their assortment of gross pre-packaged baked goods. We ran into a girl I know, Nina, who insisted on paying for my tea -- I pretended to refuse, that whole thing. Anyway, we all sat and discussed Ayn Rand for a while and then parted ways.

Back at Carl's I was confronted with a HOT Margarita pizza from Armand's and I almost lost it. I kept it together though.

While I was waiting for Carl (don't ask why I was waiting), I got a chance to play with the iPhone. It was pretty neat. Very sexy. Highly recommended.

Lunch was courtesy of El Charrito. The Salvadoran place. I went with the #2 - one papusa, and tow tacos and ANOTHER diet coke. It was really just a liiiiiitle too much, probs. I skipped most of the rice and the second taco shell. Every little bit helps, i reckoned.

Dinner was very enjoyable, with Todd. Went to busboys, where I'd never been in Daylight. Their hummus appetizer is delicious - but be sure to ask for extra bread ahead of time. It's always not balanced properly. I used a good ordering strategy tonight. I decided before leaving home that I was going to order a salad and then when I got there, I opened the menu, and picked within 30 seconds. No deliberating, no fretting. It was genius. I also had a terrible glass of red wine, recommended to me by the waitress. I started to cut her, but I let let it go.

Somehow during dinner, it was decided that we should get shakes from Ben's Chili Bowl,, already being so close. We got "small" ones and they were delicious, but a bit much.

Okay, here's the thing: the milkshake was the last straw. Desserts are slowly killing me. I am therefore declaring a week-long dessert moratorium, with the option to extend for two weeks. Like past moratoria, this is designed to break a habit, in this case, my habit of consuming small but significant quantities of refined carbohydrates between meals. If you read about so much as a Teddy Graham, I demand that you judge and leave bitchy comments. I do reserve the right to eat whole fruit, however, as I need "antioxidants," which I've decided is just code for "nutrient you've never heard of with vague and questionable efficacy, but food companies are allowed to market to you as something that MIGHT cure cancer" (see: lycopene).

Finally, one more jack and diet at the new restaurant on 17th (formerly cyberstop) where Todd and all Jay's friends met for big Chad's birthday and general tomfoolery. Tiramisu was definitely involved, but I forwent my bite in order to start the moratorium early.

On a somewhat happy note. I went to Gap today b/c that's what I do. A lot of summer sales are going around. First I went to Brook Brothers and while 3/$150 is a good price for shirts, i was so overwhelmed by the sea of blue and white stripes of every imaginable variety that I just left, flustered. That's how I wound up at Gap. There, it's much simpler. There are 4 items in the store that aren't crappy and 1 or two of them will be on sale. If it's a good enough sale, you try it on and you buy it. Today, I found four things that I liked: a pair of shorts, two pairs of dress pants and a dress shirt. Only when I got in the fitting room did i realize that they were all too big! I am TOTALLY Lohan, right now. fLog, what are you doing to me! :-)

No comments: